Asian-Americans make up a significant percentage of college students in the U.S., but they are woefully underrepresented in the animal rights movement. We want to help change that by writing Asian-focused online content and speaking directly to students on campuses nationwide. The objective of this role is to reach college students of Asian descent with PETA's message and inspire them to get active for animals.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Reach out to and form alliances with Asian-American student organizations to arrange speaking events and other educational opportunities that promote a cruelty-free vegan lifestyle
• Develop compelling presentations and outreach materials for scheduled events
• Cultivate relationships with Asian-American students by answering questions about animal rights issues and providing literature and other resources
• Write and analyze blogs and other online content specific to the Asian community for peta2.com
• Represent peta2 to the media and the general public
• Travel regularly to perform job duties
• Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor
• Excellent working knowledge of a variety of Asian cultures and traditions
• College degree or equivalent experience
• Minimum of one year of outreach or activism experience
• Writing experience, which can include writing for blogs or publications such as college newspapers
• Public speaking experience
• Excellent working knowledge of college-aged youth culture
• Demonstrated thorough knowledge of all animal rights issues and PETA campaigns
• Proven excellent project management, strategic thinking, and analytical skills
• Proven ability to communicate with a variety of people in a professional and personable manner
• Professional appearance and adherence to a healthy vegan lifestyle
• Willingness and ability to travel extensively
• Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
• Must be at least 21 years of age and have a valid U.S. driver's license, a minimum of three years of driving experience, and a satisfactory driving record
• Support for PETA's philosophy and the ability to advocate professionally for PETA's positions on issues
• Commitment to the objectives of the organization
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is the largest animal rights organization in the world, with more than 6.5 million members and supporters.
PETA focuses its attention on the four areas in which the largest numbers of animals suffer the most intensely for the longest periods of time: in the food industry, in the clothing trade, in laboratories, and in the entertainment industry. We also work on a variety of other issues, including the cruel killing of rodents, birds, and other animals who are often considered “pests” as well as cruelty to domesticated animals.