We’re looking for an all-star Produce Buyer to join our team. Each week, our team builds a 60+ ingredient supply chain, half of which are produce, to support the production of our meal kits across a multi-city production operation. As the Produce Buyer, you will manage weekly buying of produce and communicate with internal sourcing, suppliers, and production sites to ensure timelines, deliveries, and quality are met. This includes placing orders through direct partners and distributors and managing orders with a changing weekly forecast and order count. To succeed in this position, we expect superior communication and organizational skills, experience in all things produce, data management, ability to react quickly and think on your feet, dedication, resilience, and a willingness to learn on the fly.
- Generate and organize purchase orders, ensure on time and accurate delivery, and be able to recover shortages as needed.
- Confirm all produce meets standards for quality and specifications.
- Work within costing guidelines and communicate about availability and quality to Sourcing team.
- Create regional sourcing database for all suppliers and produce items.
- Use forecasting to manage purchasing over 6 week timeline and identify potential shortages.
- Nurture relationships with vendors and evaluate performance based on quality, reliability, and competitive costs to ensure product consistency.
- Conduct ongoing analysis of produce performance, trends, quality, seasonality, competitive assortment, and pricing.
- Daily communication with culinary team to align on product specifications, pricing, and availability from suppliers as well as administering the ingredient cost database.
- Respond quickly to supply disruptions, including order changes and delivery shortages, to develop alternative supply sources and/or communicate order adjustments.
- Collaborate with operations analysts to develop and maintain costing data and historical pricing.
- Regularly communicate purchasing developments to key partners (operations managers, production managers/leads, culinary team, and customer service).
- Produce knowledge is required, including seasonality, quality and proper handling, and storage.
- 2-5 years experience in produce procurement, and/or managing SKUs in the food industry.
- Stellar organizational and written, verbal, and social communication skills - both internally and externally.
- Proficient in data management and analysis using Excel to understand order quantities and inventory management.
- Proactive problem-solver, able to make decisions quickly.
- Experience reaching out to new vendors and suppliers, requesting information, evaluating costs, and staying on top of information requests.
- Role is based at 3rd party fulfillment site, must be able to hold self accountable, work independently, and manage project remotely.
- Manage self and others against weekly timelines.
- Experience with and excitement about working in a fast-paced growing start-up.