To work with activists to increase the effectiveness and frequency of activism and to encourage deeper commitments to animal rights and PETA
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Encourage and facilitate local grassroots activism in the United States and Canada
• Enlist grassroots activist support for PETA’s larger campaigns initiatives
• Cultivate relationships with activists by offering timely advice and supporting brainstorming and goal setting, and promptly returning correspondence
• Work with the PETA Foundation's Literature Department to ensure organizers have materials for their demonstrations
• Work with PETA Foundation’s Marketing Department to promote time-sensitive demonstrations to PETA’s nearby members and supporters
• Work with the Communications Department to facilitate positive interactions between media and activists
• Work with the PETA Foundation's Production Department to create provocative and educational protest materials
• Organize and manage consecutive projects to successful completion and on schedule
• Assist with the development of activist organizations in areas of the country lacking leadership in order to strengthen PETA's Activist Network
• Assist with maintaining PETA's Action Team database
• Travel to demonstrations in support of PETA campaigns
• Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• At least three years of activism experience
• Thorough knowledge of animal rights issues and PETA campaigns
• Outgoing and personable manner and the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience with Windows operating system
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, and Outlook as well as a willingness to learn new software
• Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with activists
• Ability to take initiative and follow through to prioritize and complete objectives
• Proven ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines
• Proven excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Demonstrated ability to think critically and creatively
• Proven ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
• Willingness and ability to travel
• Must be at least 21 years of age and have a valid U.S. driver's license, a minimum of three years of driving experience, and a satisfactory driving record
• Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
• COVID-19 full vaccination and booster recommended
• Professional appearance and adherence to a vegan lifestyle
• Support for PETA's philosophy and the ability to professionally advocate PETA's positions on issues
• Commitment to the objectives of the organization
The hourly pay range for this position is $18.07 - $22.37 per hour. The ultimate hourly pay within this range that will be offered to a qualified candidate will be determined based on the candidate’s experience and the cost of living in the area in which the candidate will live and work.
A list of benefits available to qualified employees is available here.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is the largest animal rights organization in the world, with more than 6.5 million members and supporters.
PETA focuses its attention on the four areas in which the largest numbers of animals suffer the most intensely for the longest periods of time: in the food industry, in the clothing trade, in laboratories, and in the entertainment industry. We also work on a variety of other issues, including the cruel killing of rodents, birds, and other animals who are often considered “pests” as well as cruelty to domesticated animals.