Part Time Animal Caregiver
Little Bear Sanctuary’s Part Time Animal Caregiver will assist the sanctuary in continuing to provide exceptional care for our resident animals. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Animal Caregiver’s responsibilities will include a wide-range of tasks to ensure the sanctuary’s animals, property maintenance projects and public relations initiatives operate at the highest level. Whether it’s feeding, cleaning and administering medication or supervising on-site enrichment programs, it’s crucial an Animal Caregiver brings a can-do attitude and has a fluid, flexible approach to work as tasks may vary from day to day.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
• Provide food and water for animals
• Meticulously clean sleep areas, and feed/water areas
• Implement veterinary care treatment plans in accordance with directions
• Participate in hoof trimming, vaccinations, sheep/goat hoof trimming, and similar appointments
• Maintenance assistance with buildings, fences, grounds and pastures
• Work with volunteers
• Help with events
The Animal Caregiver will work four hours daily, twenty hours a week, with Saturday/Sunday off. We aim to provide flexibility and support to manage personal and professional responsibilities.
This is a dirty job involving heavy physical labor. It is also intense and emotionally challenging at times. Above all else, the right person for this position is one who truly loves all animals and is committed wholeheartedly to their liberation.
The ideal candidate is:
• Committed to and passionate about Little Bear Sanctuary’s vision and values
• Able to carry 50 pounds or more
• Able to work outside in every weather
• Happy working in solitude, but also comfortable working with others
• Disciplined and cooperative (aka a true team player)
• Kind, gentle and compassionate
• Reliable and consistent
• Able to work independently
• Able to understand and precisely follow oral and written directions
• Extremely observant and able to notice and communicate subtle changes in animals’ appearance and behavior
• Terrific with humans, and will enjoy helping out with events
• Open-minded with a willingness to learn (even when new information contradicts previously held beliefs)
• Committed to personal responsibility
• Organized and motivated
• Able to work in a busy and ever-changing environment
• Calm under pressure
Additionally, candidate must have a valid driver’s license, pass criminal history, child abuse, and FBI clearances. This is a contract position starting pay at $10/hour. Self-payed healthcare available after three months.
This position may include on-site housing for the right candidate.
Little Bear Sanctuary is a registered 501(c)(3) non profit farm animal sanctuary.
Our mission is to provide a permanent home for farm animals that have been abandoned or can no longer be cared for by the owner in order to allow them to live out the remainder of their lives in a cruelty free environment. We are committed not only to a vegan lifestyle but the much needed education of pigs as pets. Our animals are never kept in cages or pens and are free to roam in their natural habitat.
We are GFAS Verified. The Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries (GFAS), a non-profit group which provides certification for animal sanctuaries, rescue centers, and rehabilitation centers through verification and accreditation. GFAS promotes and supports the betterment of sanctuaries to reach the highest level of animal care and management. Meeting their standards of excellence is a true honor as we take great pride in our care and see incredible value in creating a more benevolent community.