Full-Time Deputy Director
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Founded in 2001, Catskill Animal Sanctuary is a 110-acre haven for farmed animals rescued from neglect or abandonment, and a center to encourage and empower individuals in their journey toward veganism. Located in New York’s beautiful Hudson Valley, CAS has saved the lives of close to 3,000 animals through direct rescue, and countless more through programs such as Compassionate Cuisine, our vegan culinary program, and Camp Kindness, a day camp for children. We offer weekend tours, custom-designed large-group programs, and seek to expand our programming in 2014 and beyond. Our Founder and CEO Kathy Stevens is the author of two books about the work of Catskill Animal Sanctuary, a Huffington Post blogger, and speaks at schools, colleges, and conferences about the imperative of veganism.
Catskill Animal Sanctuary has been growing steadily since its inception in 2001, and now seeks both to strengthen organizational processes and to grow to effectively and creatively address the planet’s urgent need for humanity to adopt a plant-based diet. We seek a seasoned, mission-focused, strategic, and process-minded leader with experience scaling an organization, leading a management team, and developing a joyful, positive performance culture among a group of diverse, hard-working, talented individuals. A strong and demonstrated commitment to veganism is imperative; non-vegans should not apply. The Operations Director must be a leader who excels at helping others deliver measurable, cost-effective results that make our vision a reality. Importantly, the successful OD will have the skills, sensitivity, and personal confidence to tap into the power that each member of the team brings to our vital mission. While it is essential that s/he bring, in equal measure, a respect for a positive culture and efficient systems to increase the effectiveness of Catskill Animal Sanctuary, is it also critical that individual teams and team members retain the autonomy and flexibility to meet their goals in ways that work for them.
Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Contribute to the development of our strategic goals and objectives as well as to the overall management of the organization
- Advise the CEO, Board, and management team on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters
- Serve as liaison to the Board of Directors, effectively communicating and presenting critical financial and other matters at select BOD meetings
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the CEO informed of all critical issues
- Represent the organization externally, as necessary and deemed appropriate.
- Model joy and positive relationship-building, and promote a culture that expects and rewards kindness to all with whom we interact—staff, volunteers, the public, and animals
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values and rewards learning and a commitment to quality
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results via performance appraisals
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development
- Oversee the work of the business office, the outreach team, and the rescue program
- Plan, coordinate, and execute the annual budget process
- Ensure that CAS is adhering to its strategic plan, delivering quarterly status reports to CEO
- Provide support to CAS’s management team (as requested or as deemed necessary) to ensure success at meeting individual benchmarks
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of Catskill Animal Sanctuary and be excited by the mission. The candidate should demonstrate a passion for breaking new ground to lead social change, and will likely have had significant management experience with a values-driven non-profit. Beyond that, we are seeking a candidate who has proven experience in scaling an organization, preferably a non-profit, and a demonstrated ability to foster a positive, supportive culture while building the capabilities of a hard-working, talented, diverse team.
Additional requirements are:
- Industry Expertise—in-depth understanding of animal rescue and of agribusiness and its impact on animals, people, and the planet. Farm experience highly desirable.
- Strategic Vision and Agility—ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan
- Capacity Building—ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top-notch workforce and the processes that ensure that CAS runs smoothly
- Leadership and Organization–exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations; ability to connect with staff both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, lead from the top down, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed
- Problem-solving—ability to implement an action-oriented, problem-solving culture that seeks real solutions to challenges as they arise
- General Management—thorough understanding of finance, systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business operations, including marketing, strategic development and planning, budgeting, business analysis, finance, information systems
- Results-proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; high level of business acumen including successful P&L management; the ability to balance program delivery against the realities of a budget; and problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness
- Solid educational background—undergraduate degree required; MBA or similar advanced degree highly desired
- Character—honesty, integrity, the ability to readily admit one’s mistakes, good judgment and sound decision-making, optimism and energy are among the personal qualities we seek in our OD
This is an outstanding opportunity for a creative, motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a highly respected organization. We offer a competitive salary, and our benefits package includes health insurance, vacation and personal days, and annual raises.
How to Apply
Submit letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. We hope you understand that due to the number of expected inquiries, we will only be able to respond to those whom we'd like to interview.
443 total views, 1 today