Temporary Humane Educator & Educator Assistant
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
This is a limited time (summer) position.
Camp Kindness at Catskill Animal Sanctuary engages young people in a vibrant day camp designed to foster compassion and respect for all living beings and the environment. The age-specific program will span approximately six to eight summer weeks (including training) and takes place on Sanctuary grounds in Saugerties, New York. The campers learn surrounded by beautiful landscapes and the many delightful rescued animals.
Two Camp Kindness Humane Educators will guide young people ages 9 – 13 through each one-week program utilizing direct experience with the animals, the CAS garden, educational games and reading material as well as arts and crafts to enrich their experience and enhance their knowledge. Covered in the lesson plans are issues related to animal welfare, nutrition and well-being, and the wonders of animals and nature.
The educator(s) will work in a hands-on way to teach the syllabus and run the day camp, with the support of (and reporting to) the Program Director, and will communicate with the camp chef and farm manager to ensure a smooth flowing program that is exciting, life-changing, joyous and varied.
Job Responsibilities (for example but not limited to):
- Administrate the Program: Responsibilities include signing off on the camp application and flyer with Program Director, screening each applicant and placing them in the appropriate session (includes light data entry/registration processing, plus basic maintenance of student database and files.)
- Assist in creation of syllabus: Prior to the camp season, Humane Educator(s) will meet with previous instructors who created the original syllabus, then work with founder and former teacher Kathy Stevens to strengthen it and keep it current and dynamic.
- Run the Camp Sessions and teach the syllabus: Dates TBD (Summer of 2013.) Possibly, additional “weekend camp” sessions might extend teaching opportunities here.
- Maintain Camp Classroom: Educator(s) are responsible for the decorating and setting up of the Camp Classroom and “home base” i.e. keeping track and ordering of any supplies needed, keeping area clean and stocked and putting camp “to bed” at the end of the season.
- Special Events and School Outreach: Educator(s) would be a valuable asset at special events that have activities for young people, as well as opportunities that arise for on or off-site youth education. TBD on a case-by-case basis, budget allowing.
College Graduate and minimum two years teaching experience preferred.
Completion of H.E.A.R.T. certification or Zoe Weil training would be ideal.
Basic CPR/First Aid course mandatory for both educators (We can provide via local Red Cross offices.)
How to Apply
Email your resume, cover letter, and references to Rebecca Moore, Program Director: email@example.com
Please do not phone. We will get back to applicants based on resume/experience.
1217 total views, 1 today