Animal Place is one of the oldest and largest sanctuaries for farmed animals in the country. Nestled on 600-acres in Grass Valley, CA, Animal Place provides permanent refuge to hundreds of neglected farmed animals. In addition to permanent sanctuary, Animal Place’s Rescue Ranch is a 60-acre adoption center, placing needy farmed animals into permanent homes.
Put your compassion into action and join us for an animal care sanctuary internship! Your residential, live-in internship will be a memorable experience spent working hard at our sanctuary in Grass Valley or Rescue Ranch in Vacaville, CA.
Housing is provided (including utilities, internet, phone, laundry, bedding, and household necessities), but food and transportation to/from the sanctuary are not.
8 or 12-week internships available throughout the year beginning in August 2015!
Fill out an application at http://animalplace.org/get-invovled-sanctuary-internships/.
- Learning about daily animal care operations
- Providing hands-on care for farmed animals
- Learning the medical treatments for sanctuary residents
- Instruction on proper handling of different species
- Information on appropriate dietary requirements for farmed animals in a non-production setting
- Weekly enrichment activities designed to promote personal growth and animal advocacy skills
- Getting to know our sanctuary residents as individuals with their own unique personalities and behaviors
- Working with like-minded individuals
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Feeding animals
- Cleaning and maintaining sleeping quarters, pasture, sanctuary grounds
- Helping with weekly animal health checks as needed
- Sorting and pulling produce for the animals
- Misc. work (filing paper, laundry, animal socialization, filling holes, cob-webbing, bottle feeding babies, etc.)
- Interns are assigned evening shelter security shifts, maximum of 3 per week
- Assisting with other duties as needed (tabling at events, guiding tours of sanctuary, performing large-scale animal rescues)
- All applicants must by 18 years or older by start of internship
- Proof of medical insurance required
- Not afraid to get dirty
- Comfortable working individually
- Physically able to lift at least 40 lbs, and perform other physically demanding chores
- Reliable, dependable, punctual
- Able to proficiently speak and read English
- Comfortable communicating with senior staff
- Comfortable living in communal housing
- Ability to work in all weather conditions including consistent rain in the winter and up to 105 degree temperatures in the Summer. (We also occasionally have hail and snow in the winter.)
- 40 volunteer hours a week for a minimum of 8 weeks (exceptions considered on a case-by-case basis, particularly in the Fall and Winter months)
- Interest and commitment to working with and for farmed animals
If you have questions about the internship program, please email our Intern Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fill out an application by visiting http://animalplace.org/get-invovled-sanctuary-internships/.
About Animal Place
Animal Place is one of the oldest and largest sanctuaries for farmed animals in the country. Nestled on 600-acres in Grass Valley, CA, Animal Place provides permanent refuge to hundreds of neglected farmed animals. In addition to permanent sanctuary, Animal Place's Rescue Ranch is a 60-acre adoption center, placing needy farmed animals into permanent homes.